Archive for the ‘About Radical’ Category
Posted on September 3rd, 2014 by Jonathan
Last week, it was announced that Pastor David was appointed president of the International Mission Board (IMB). We posted a video in which David explains how the Lord led him to this role and what that means, but we want to be even more clear about what this means for Radical.
While there will be some obvious changes in the nature of Pastor David’s work, Radical’s role as his resource ministry will largely stay the same. Whether you’re new to Radical or you’ve been following us for some time, here are some things you can expect in the future:
- Radical will continue to serve as a source for all of his material, spoken and written, and will likely even expand with new features such as a regular podcast from David.
- Past sermons and Secret Church studies will continue to be available in our online resource library.
- We will still provide translation resources in 6+ languages.
- The Radical store will still make books, Secret Church study guides, and more available for sale.
- We’ll continue to regularly post on the Radical and Secret Church blogs.
- Pastor David will continue to teach new Secret Church simulcasts.
- Multiply will go on at MultiplyMovement.com.
- David Platt is unwavering in his commitment to the local church as the primary means for missions.
If you benefit from Radical’s ministry (any of our various facets), don’t go anywhere. We aren’t.
Posted on August 27th, 2014 by David Burnette
This morning the trustees of the International Mission Board (IMB) of the Southern Baptist Convention elected Pastor David Platt to be the IMB’s 12th president. (For more on this announcement, see our previous post). So what does that mean for Radical, Secret Church, and related resources and events?
Here’s a nine-minute video in which Pastor David talks about the Lord’s leading in this ministry transition as well as the future of Radical:
Radical will continue to be the resource ministry for David Platt’s preaching and teaching. You’ll still be able to access sermons (both past and present), and we’ll continue to offer resources such as: a regularly updated blog, translation resources into 6+ languages, Secret Church events and resources, Multiply, etc. We’re also thinking through the potential for new resources, such as a regular podcast.
Please be in prayer for Pastor David, for the IMB, and for Radical as we seek to continue to serve the church in carrying out Christ’s mission.
If you use Amazon.com to make purchases, we wanted to make you aware of their new initiative called AmazonSmile. AmazonSmile allows you to give 0.5% of every AmazonSmile eligible purchase to the charity of your choice, and Radical is included as one of those charities.
Once you go to AmazonSmile, simply click on the Search button and type Radical, Inc.–that’s us. You don’t have to be an Amazon Prime member to participate. Go here to get answers to FAQ’s about AmazonSmile.
To be clear, we are not hereby endorsing Amazon or any of its policies or positions, but if you’re already using the site to make purchases, we’d be grateful if you would consider including Radical as a way to partner with us in providing biblical resources at little to no cost.
Posted on June 25th, 2014 by Jonathan
Here’s some more about Russian …
- “Russian is spoken by about 170 million people as a first language. It is a second language for additional 100 million in the countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States (the former Soviet Union) and of Eastern Europe.” (Encyclopeida.com)
- “Closely related to Russian are the other East Slavic tongues, Ukrainian (also called Little Russian or Ruthenian) and Belarusian (or White Russian).” (Encyclopedia.com)
- “Russian is the 8th most spoken language in the world by number of native speakers and the 7th by total number of speakers.” (Wikepedia.com)
- “It is the most geographically widespread language of Eurasia and the most widely spoken of the Slavic languages.” (Wikepedia.com)
- Famous Russian authors include: Leo Tolstoy, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Ivan Turgenev, and Nikolay Gogol.
- “There are over 100 minority languages spoken in Russia today.” (BBC)
- “The first Russian Bible to be successfully printed and widely distributed was the Elizabeth Bible of 1751.” (Wikepedia.com)
- Здравствуйте = Zdravstvuyte = Hello
From Pastor David’s sermon, The Gospel and the Rich, on February 9, 2014 …
I want to be clear: using this word is not intended to distinguish radical Christianity from some other brand of Christianity. It’s intended to show that biblical Christianity–true, authentic Christianity–is inevitably radical Christianity. For you and for anyone in this room to come to Jesus means to lay down your life and your possessions and your pursuits and your family and your future–your everything–to surrender to him. Jesus never calls a person to partial, casual discipleship … cultural discipleship. There’s one option: radical discipleship. It’s the surrender of everything you have and everything you are to Jesus.
So to every Christian in this room, to every follower of Christ, you have surrendered the right to determine the direction of your life. You do not determine where you live. You do not determine how you live. You do not determine how you spend your money. You have relinquished that right. He determines all of these things. Your role, and my role, is not to consider what he says and then decide what we think about it. Your role, and my role, is to listen and obey. He’s Lord.
Posted on May 14th, 2014 by Jonathan
Did you know…
- Standard Chinese is generally referred to as “Mandarin.”
- At nearly one billion, more people speak native Mandarin than any other language in the world.
- Experts group 8-9 similar dialects under the label “Mandarin.”
- Mandarin is spoken in most of northern and southwestern China.
- It wasn’t until the 1800s that any attempts to translate the Bible into Chinese were made
- “Hello” = “你好” = “nǐ hǎo”
- Some of Pastor David’s sermons are being translated into Mandarin and carried here.
- Radical has translated over 135 sermons and 5 full Secret Church topics into Mandarin … and we’re not stopping yet…
Posted on December 19th, 2013 by David Burnette
Radical’s Executive Director Jim Warren talks about partnering with us…
With Christmas just around the corner, we wanted to take a few moments to thank you for your partnership and support of Radical and the ministry of Pastor David Platt. We are grateful for all God has done these past three years as He has used your prayers, encouragement, and financial support for the spread of the gospel and the upbuilding of the church.
We would honored if you would consider partnering with us financially in the coming year. It’s your support that helps us continue to offer free resources and host catalytic events. You can give to Radical online by going here, or you can mail your donation to:
5511 HWY 280, Suite 215
Birmingham, AL 35242
Thanks again for considering us in your end of year giving. We covet your prayers for 2014.
The Radical Team
Posted on December 6th, 2013 by Jonathan
This year, just in time for Christmas…
By purchasing one of these new Radical t-shirts, you can fund one day of free downloads from our website. Your purchase helps to provide free biblical resources and you get a good t-shirt, so everybody wins.
To purchase a t-shirt and to get descriptions and sizes, visit the Radical store.
Posted on April 12th, 2012 by David Burnette
David Platt on the vision and purpose for Radical.
Posted on April 9th, 2012 by David Burnette
Read below for more on David Platt’s answer to the question, “Why Radical?”
I want to be a part of the accomplishment of the Great Commission. That’s the short answer I would give if someone asked me, “Why Radical?” Continue Reading
You are currently browsing the archives for the About Radical category.
- Platt Excerpts (116)
- Biblical Insights (110)
- Reaching the Unreached (103)
- Videos (103)
- Voices from the Past (100)
- Well Said (96)
- Secret Church (77)
- Interviews (67)
- Featured Resource (66)
- Featured (66)
- Pray for the Persecuted (63)
- Current Events (35)
- Christmas/Advent (28)
- Missions (28)
- Morning Meditation (25)
- Multiply (21)
- Making Disciples (21)
- Conferences (20)
- Resource Recommendations (20)
- Follow Me (19)
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012