Archive for the ‘Secret Church’ Category
Posted on August 25th, 2014 by Jonathan
The following is from Secret Church 6: The Cross of Christ.
We should boast in the cross . . .
1. Because the cross confronts us with who we once were. (Eph 2:1-5)
- The cross reminds us of how horrible sin is.
- The cross reminds us how humbling grace is.
2. Because the cross comforts us with who we are now.
- We are alive to God. (Rm 6:8-14)
- Sacrifice: He died our death.
- We were dead; now we live!
- We have an advocate before God. (Rm 8:33-39; Heb 7:23-25)
- Propitiation: He endured our condemnation
- We were afraid; now we are friends!
- We have access to God. (Heb 4:14-16)
- Reconciliation: He suffered our separation
- We were cast out; now we are invited in!
- We are adopted by God. (Rm 8:15-17)
- Redemption: He suffered our separation.
- We were slaves; now we are now sons!
3. Because the cross teaches us what it means to be saved.
- The cross makes clear our justification. (Gal 2:15-20)
- Christ died for us.
- We are not working for righteousness, but from righteousness.
- The cross makes possible our sanctification. (1 Cor 1:18)
- Christ now lives in us.
- We are not in debt to Christ; we are indwelt by Christ.
- The cross makes certain our glorification. (Rm 8:28-30)
- Christ is coming back for us.
- We are not living for this world; we are living for the world to come.
4. Because the cross shows us what it means to love. (1 Jn 3:16-18; Jn 13:35)
- In the church . . . we unite around the cross.
- Among the lost . . . we proclaim the cross.
- Toward the poor . . . we embody the cross.
5. Because the cross reminds us that our safety is not in this world.
- We do not fear suffering. (Matt 10:26-31)
- We are free to suffer. (Phil 1:29-30; Col 1:24)
6. Because the cross keeps us from wasting our lives in this world. (Phil 3:7-11)
- This world has nothing for us.
- Christ is everything to us.
7. Because the cross grips us with a vision of the world to come.
- Jesus has identified the ultimate problem. (Rev 5:1)
- We stand before a holy God hopeless.
- We stand before a holy God helpless.
- Jesus has paid the ultimate price. (Rev 5:5-6)
- He is a conquering Lion.
- He is a suffering Lamb.
- Jesus has fulfilled the ultimate purpose. (Rev 5:7)
- Jesus now deserves the ultimate praise. (Rev 5:8-14)
- Our song will be new.
- Our worship will be never-ending.
Posted on August 19th, 2014 by Jonathan
Have you ever thought something along these lines?
“I wish I had an overview of (insert New Testament book) so that I didn’t have to jump into studying it blindly.”
Our vault may contain just the remedy.
Way back before people used the term millennial to refer to a generation, when iPods and cellphones were separate, and before simulcasts were in vogue . . . there was Secret Church 2: Survey of the New Testament. The aim of the study was simple, but not easy: complete an overview of the entire New Testament in mere hours. The mission was accomplished and, thankfully, this ancient bit of teaching has been preserved throughout the years on the Internet, through this link.
Although you’re welcome to use the online material totally free of charge, you can also purchase the even more traditional, paper form of the study guide in our online store to enable good, old-fashioned note-taking with a pen or pencil–we even invite you to write in cursive. And should your Internet connection speed be stuck in 2007, our scribes have chronicled the night on digital video discs (DVDs) for your convenience.
Don’t be afraid to take a step back in time and use this valuable resource. After all, when it comes to biblical interpretation, innovation is rarely the best policy . . .
Posted on July 9th, 2014 by Jonathan
Secret Church 15 will take place on April 24, 2015, two weeks after Easter. Tickets to the live gathering will go on sale this January, and simulcast registration opens on October 1, 2014. The topic will be “Christ, Culture, and a Call to Action.” Here’s the synopsis:
The culture around us is constantly changing, and successive changes are often accompanied by significant challenges. So how does the call of Christ compel us to respond to these challenges? How does a Christian respond to the rapid rise of so-called same-sex marriage and the increasing acceptance of homosexuality? How does a Christian live in a world of sex slavery and rampant pornography, a world where babies are aborted and widows are abandoned? How does a Christian think in a culture of pervasive racial prejudice and limited religious liberty? What does a Christian do in a church that exalts prosperity amidst a world of extreme poverty? During this Secret Church, we will explore biblical foundations for answers to these questions and come to significant conclusions regarding how Christ calls every Christian to engage culture with a firm grip on the gospel in the church and a fervent passion for God’s glory in the world.
We must not be ignorant of what the Bible says about some of the biggest issues Christians face today. So mark it out in your calendar; mention it to your friends and family; talk with your church leaders about potentially hosting a simulcast; begin making plans, whatever they are. Just make sure you don’t miss out on Secret Church 15.
Posted on May 19th, 2014 by Eric Parker
In Secret Church 9, “The Body of Christ”, Pastor David helps us think through the difference between the Church and the Kingdom of God. To access this Secret Church it in its entirety, click here.
Posted on May 6th, 2014 by Eric Parker
In Secret Church 11, “Family, Marriage, Sex, and the Gospel”, Pastor David addresses the topic of homosexuality in order to help us think through this topic biblically. Go here to view SC 11 in its entirety.
Posted on May 1st, 2014 by Jonathan
As we commit to pray for Turkey throughout May, here are some compelling figures to keep in mind. The following information was taken from Joshua Project and Hope for Turkey–our official prayer focus website. Check HopeForTurkey.com regularly for updates and prayer requests this month, and be sure to take advantage of the 31-day prayer guide.
People Groups: 60
Unreached People Groups: 42
Evangelical Christian: (0.01%); 4,000
Posted on April 30th, 2014 by Jonathan
If you missed Secret Church on Good Friday and have not yet been able to participate in the simulcast replay, then you may have also missed our prayer focus. Together, throughout the month of May, we’ll be focusing our prayers on the Peoples of Turkey. You can find out about Turkey, the people groups that live there, and the unique culture of the country at HopeForTurkey.com, our official prayer focus website.
To assist you in knowing how to specifically pray, we’d encourage you to use this beautiful 31-day prayer guide. It includes various general topics as well as specific requests.
We are praying with expectancy, excited to see what our Father in heaven does as thousands of people lift up Turkey on a consistent basis for the next 31 days. We hope you’ll join us, starting tomorrow!
Here’s Pastor David’s list of recommended resources from Secret Church 14. These books can be a great way to dig deeper into some of the topics discussed during our recent simulcast. Since this year’s topic, “The Cross and Everyday Life,” covers a whole host of issues, we’ve listed these resources by category.
On the Gospel-Centered Life …
J.I. Packer, Knowing God
John Piper, Desiring God
A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God
On the Gospel and Life …
C.J. Mahaney, Living the Cross-Centered Life
John Stott, The Cross of Christ
On Sanctification …
Jerry Brides, The Pursuit of Holiness
Jerry Bridges, The Discipline of Grace
Kevin DeYoung, The Hole in our Holiness
J.P. Moreland, Love God with All Your Mind
David Platt, Follow Me
On Spiritual Disciplines …
Mark Dever, The Gospel and Personal Evangelism
J.I. Packer, Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God
John Piper, When I Don’t Desire God
Donald Whitney, Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life
Donald Whitney, Family Worship: In the Bible, in History, and in Your Home
On the Gospel and Work …
Sebastian Traeger and Greg Gilbert, The Gospel at Work: How Working for King Jesus Gives Purpose and Meaning to our Jobs
On the Gospel and Play …
C.J. Mahaney, Don’t Waste Your Sports
Kevin DeYoung, Crazy Busy
Arthur Pierson, George Muller of Bristol
Dr. and Mrs. Howard Taylor, Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret
– You can catch the replay for Secret Church 14 for up to 30 days (through May 17th) by going here. This will allow you to view both the musical worship as well as the time of prayer for Turkey. After 30 days, you can see the teaching portions for Secret Church 14 here.
Good news for those who want to watch the Secret Church 14 simulcast after Good Friday, April 18th: the replay will be available for up to thirty days! If you’ve already registered, the replay will be available at no additional cost. If you haven’t registered but would still like to view Secret Church 14 in its entirety, simply register here and you can watch the replay up until May 17th.
By registering for the replay, you’ll be able to view Pastor David’s teaching sessions, the corporate prayer time for the Turks and Kurds of Turkey, and the musical worship for the night. You’ll also receive a Study Guide with your registration. After this thirty-day period, the teaching portions of Secret Church 14 will be available for free on our website, or if you prefer a hard copy, DVD’s are available here.
We hope you’ll take advantage of these extra opportunities to take in Secret Church 14 and to pass it along to others.
Posted on April 17th, 2014 by David Burnette
You are currently browsing the archives for the Secret Church category.
- Platt Excerpts (113)
- Biblical Insights (104)
- Voices from the Past (100)
- Videos (100)
- Reaching the Unreached (99)
- Well Said (94)
- Secret Church (75)
- Featured Resource (66)
- Featured (63)
- Interviews (63)
- Pray for the Persecuted (61)
- Current Events (34)
- Christmas/Advent (28)
- Morning Meditation (25)
- Missions (22)
- Multiply (21)
- Resource Recommendations (20)
- Follow Me (19)
- Conferences (18)
- Christ and Salvation (18)
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012