Posts Tagged ‘Jared Wilson’
Posted on May 23rd, 2014 by Jonathan
When We Get Small & God Gets Big, Jared C. Wilson: I am sorry for the lack of posting in a long while. Life and ministry have occupied most of my time, and I am sad to report to those who don’t follow me on Twitter that our church is undergoing yet more challenges from the beast called cancer. In the last 6 months we lost our friends Anne andRichard. Our friends Daisy and Jerry are said to be fighting on the final fronts. And so is our friend Natalie. Can I tell you a bit about her? … READ MORE
Should I be Content with My Singleness?, Betsy Childs: I am 33 and single. I have wanted to be married for as long as I can remember. As I’ve struggled to come to terms with the prospect of lifelong singleness, I’ve joined the chorus of others who desire marriage who ask, “If God wants me to be single, why hasn’t he taken away my desire for marriage?” … READ MORE
John Piper on Romans 8:28: “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose” (Rm 8:28).
Posted on February 14th, 2014 by Cory Varden
1. Crucifying Defensiveness by Jared Wilson: The biggest problem in my life and ministry is me. And the biggest problem among my many idiosyncratic problems is the impulse toward self-defense and self-justification.
2. Nine Lies in the Not-Yet-Married Life by Marshall Segal: Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, perhaps one of the more polarizing holidays of our year. It’s very fun and exciting for the love birds, too commercial and insincere for the skeptics, and sometimes especially lonely for the single.
3. The Other Shoe Drops in Kentucky: Federal Court Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage in the Commonwealth by Albert Mohler: “As far as this Court is concerned, no one should be fooled; it is just a matter of listening and waiting for the other shoe.” Those are the words of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, drawn from his dissent in the case United States v. Windsor, handed down last year.
Posted on January 18th, 2013 by Cory Varden
This January is the 40th anniversary of the Roe v Wade Court decision that legalized abortion in our nation for any reason. It also opened the door to deep sorrow and regret for many who chose abortion, thinking it held the promise of “reproductive freedom.” In light of that this week’s Well Said… focuses on some insightful posts this week on this issue.
1. Why I Hate Sanctity of Human Life Sunday (and Why I Love It Too) from Russell Moore: As we approach next week’s fortieth anniversary of the infamous Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision, churches in my tradition will observe Sanctity of Human Life Sunday. I hate that we have to. Let me explain why…
2. Thank You, Mr. President, for These Pro-Life Marching Orders from Justin Taylor
3. Away With Utilitarian Arguments Against Abortion from Jared Wilson: You have likely heard this line of reasoning from earnest pro-lifers before. The logic goes something like this: You should be pro-life because you never know if you’ve aborted the next Einstein, the next Beethoven, the next Martin Luther King, Jr., the next Pasteur or Salk, etc. What if you aborted the curer of cancer or AIDS?…
Posted on November 2nd, 2012 by David Burnette
1. Cultivating a Heart for the Lost: Like Paul, our belief in God’s sovereignty ought to lead to a real concern for the lost. Justin Taylor summarizes 7 steps for cultivating a heart for the lost from a sermon by John Piper on Romans 10:1.
2. Why Zombies Matter: Why are we fascinated with zomblies, and what does that have to do with the gospel of Jesus Christ? Russell Moore with some food for thought on Halloween.
3. I’m Not Much of a Reader: Regardless of how you’re wired, Jared Wilson reminds us how foolish it is to neglect God’s Word simply because you don’t enjoy reading. The God of the universe has spoken, after all.
Posted on September 14th, 2012 by David Burnette
1. Little Kids Need Big Words: Should you avoid using words like “mediator” or “hallowed” when you talk with young kids about the Bible? Trevin Wax explains why he and others chose to keep such words as a part of the Gospel Project curriculum. It’s about taking the “long view.”
2. My Daughter is an Atheist: Al Mohler offers commentary on a columnist’s advice to a Christian mother whose 16-year-old daughter is moving toward atheism. The gospel, and not Christian values, is the power of God unto salvation.
3. Engaging with Mormons: Why do Mormons believe what they do? Are our standard apologetic arguments against Mormon historical/theological/philosophical errors enough? If not, why not? Russell Moore says Mormons believe what they do because, well, they want to.
4. Look Up: Jared Wilson highlights some good advice for believers who tend to look inward more than upward. Fix your eyes on Jesus, not your besetting sins, says J.C. Ryle.
Posted on September 7th, 2012 by David Burnette
1. 3 Beliefs of a Proud Heart: If you’re familiar with your own heart and aware of your own sin, you can resonate with these three characteristics of a proud heart by Joe Thorn. As Thorn says, we fight this pride by faith. (HT: Trevin Wax)
2. Do You Ever Think About Spiritual Warfare?: Many evangelicals have avoided the topic of spiritual warfare, often in reaction to the excesses of other Christians. However, as Thabiti Anyabwile points out, Christians must recognize the very real spiritual battle they are engaged in according to Scripture.
3. Praying with Holy Violence: What is prevailing, successful prayer? Jared Wilson highlights a brief but powerful quote from Octavius Winslow on the kind of prayer that avails before God.
- Platt Excerpts (112)
- Biblical Insights (103)
- Videos (100)
- Voices from the Past (99)
- Reaching the Unreached (98)
- Well Said (94)
- Secret Church (74)
- Featured Resource (66)
- Interviews (63)
- Pray for the Persecuted (61)
- Featured (60)
- Current Events (34)
- Christmas/Advent (28)
- Morning Meditation (25)
- Multiply (21)
- Missions (20)
- Resource Recommendations (20)
- Follow Me (19)
- Conferences (18)
- World Events (17)
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012