Posts Tagged ‘sanctification’
Posted on February 27th, 2013 by Jonathan
Continuing from last week, we’re highlighting several of Jonathan Edwards’ resolutions. You can get a brief intro to those resolutions by going here. It’s difficult not to marvel at Edwards’ zeal:
48. Resolved, constantly, with the utmost niceness and diligence, and the strictest scrutiny, to be looking into the state of my soul, that I may know whether I have truly an interest in Christ or no; that when I come to die, I may not have any negligence respecting this to repent of. May 26, 1723.
53. Resolved, to improve every opportunity, when I am in the best and happiest frame of mind, to cast and venture my soul on the Lord Jesus Christ, to trust and confide in him, and consecrate myself wholly to him; that from this I may have assurance of my safety, knowing that I confide in my Redeemer. July 8, 1723.
64. Resolved, when I find those “groanings which cannot be uttered” (Rom. 8:26), of which the Apostle speaks, and those “breakings of soul for the longing it hath,” of which the Psalmist speaks, Psalm 119:20, that I will promote them to the utmost of my power, and that I will not be wear’, of earnestly endeavoring to vent my desires, nor of the repetitions of such earnestness. July 23, and August 10, 1723.
65. Resolved, very much to exercise myself in this all my life long, viz. with the greatest openness I am capable of, to declare my ways to God, and lay open my soul to him: all my sins, temptations, difficulties, sorrows, fears, hopes, desires, and every thing, and every circumstance; according to Dr. Manton’s 27th Sermon on Psalm 119. July 26 and Aug. 10, 1723.
Jonathan Edwards, The Works of Jonathan Edwards, Vol. 16, 754-756
If you would like to learn more about Jonathan Edwards, you can begin by going here to read or listen to John Piper’s biographical sketch of him.
Posted on August 20th, 2012 by David Burnette
An invitation from John Piper:
The Bible says that no one will see the Lord without holiness (Heb 12:14); but is holiness our work, or is it God’s? Every follower of Christ is in the process/battle of sanctification, and he or she needs to know how it is that we grow in obedience and become conformed to the image of Christ. To this end, we want to make you aware of what looks to be an incredibly helpful and practical conference:
The Desiring God 2012 National Conference is September 28-30 in Minneapolis, MN. This year’s theme is “Act the Miracle: God’s Work and Ours in the Mystery of Sanctification.” There’s still a discount if you register before August 31.
More details about the conference can be found here.
Posted on July 20th, 2012 by David Burnette
2. Piper and Keller on Sanctification: Check out part 1 and part 2 of this conversation between John Piper and Tim Keller. Questions such as, “How does justification relate to sanctification?” are crucial for our spiritual health.
4. The Thing Just Isn’t There : A great quote by C.S. Lewis posted by Dane Ortlund concerning our temptation to doubt God’s goodness and wisdom. Here’s a snippet: “Whatever we desire is either what God is trying to give us as quickly as He can, or else a false picture of what He is trying to give us…”
- Platt Excerpts (85)
- Voices from the Past (80)
- Reaching the Unreached (80)
- Well Said (73)
- Videos (69)
- Featured Resource (56)
- Interviews (42)
- Pray for the Persecuted (37)
- Biblical Insights (34)
- Featured (29)
- Secret Church (24)
- Christmas/Advent (23)
- Multiply (20)
- Current Events (19)
- Morning Meditation (18)
- Follow Me (16)
- Conferences (13)
- Uncategorized (11)
- About Radical (6)
- Threads (6)