Pray for the PersecutedBy Jonathan L.
Each week, we will post some specific ways that we can be praying together for our brothers and sisters around the world who are actively sharing in Christ’s suffering through persecution. Take some time to lift the believers in each of these regions before our Father in heaven. At the same time, pray for those enacting the persecution to be kindly drawn to repentance and to experience new life through faith in Jesus.
- Pray for the believers in Nigeria who are still suffering violence from a group whose goal is to establish total control of the area by destroying church buildings and killing Christians. Pray for their faith, their love for all, and their witness to all. Ask God to comfort them as only He can. Also, ask God to give wisdom to Nigeria’s Christian president as the believers undergoing this persecution are looking to him for a solution.
- Pray that the violent extremist group will stop as they see the truth, lay down their pride, and look to Jesus. As we were all once enemies of God, pray that our Lord, mighty to save, will miraculously make these enemies His friends.
- Pray for the Christian team who was attacked by a small mob of zealots while they were trying to distribute humanitarian items at the Ak-Kyia village school. Ask God to give them supernatural love for their attackers, resolve in their obedient love for Christ, and wisdom in how to proceed. Pray that God’s will is done as the lawyers and judges handling the case do so with God-fearing justice and wisdom.
- Pray for the attackers and their leader to relent and in their passionate opposition to God as they see Christ as the Way, Truth, and Life and submit themselves to Him.
- Pray for the churches and their leadership as they try to legally establish themselves as churches in the face of an often oppositional government. Pray for patience, joy, and overall Christ-likeness as they plant churches and grow in size without being permitted to register, be officially called a ‘church,’ or build more than a small thatched house in which to worship. Praise God for the growth and training that has taken place in the Burmese church.
- Pray that the Burmese officials will have kind and willing attitudes when dealing with legal applications, and pray that God redeems those who now oppose His body so overtly. Pray also for God to raise up strong Christians from within the government who will champion the advancement of the church rather than oppose it.
Information from Open Doors prompted these requests. See their site for more on the persecution in Myanmar.