Pray for the PersecutedBy Jonathan L.
Each week, we will post some specific ways that we can be praying together for our brothers and sisters around the world who are actively sharing in Christ’s suffering through persecution. Take some time to lift the believers in each of these regions before our Father in heaven. At the same time, pray for those enacting the persecution to be kindly drawn to repentance and to experience new life through faith in Jesus.
While most Indian Christians are relatively free, many parts of the country remain key battlegrounds between Hindu extremists and Christians. Persecution is largely due to the amazing growth of Christianity among the low castes and Dalits, which threatens Hindu leaders. Violence against pastors and church gatherings continues on a monthly basis, usually in rural areas. A total of 109 incidents of anti-Christian violence were recorded in 2011. The extremist BJP party is in power in many states, and continues to push its version of Hinduism into the cultural mainstream.
- Extremists are regrouping in rural areas, setting up schools to raise up a new ‘Hindu Taliban’. Pray that their influence will decrease
- Local police often side with those who commit the violence. Pray that the government will provide protection and justice for the Christian minority
- Pray that biblical training, literacy and livelihood projects run by Open Doors will help strengthen the church.
- Pray for the Christians who are suffering to suffer well, for their witness to Christ to resound to the nations, and for their persecutors, specifically, to come to repentance and faith in Jesus. Most importantly, in all this, pray that God’s worthy name is lifted high.
- Pray that you do not forget the cost of following Jesus.
- Pray that you would have God’s perspective on true worship and holy ministry.
- Pray that you would have the faith, hope, and love to worship God truly and participate in holy, humble ministry.
- Pray that you would always remember to pray for those who live in areas where they must suffer at the hands of others for following Christ.
Information for this post was gathered from Open Doors’ World Watch List.